The ketogenic diet, or keto for short, is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that has become popular in recent years for its potential health benefits and weight loss properties. But what exactly should you eat on a keto diet? Here's a beginner's guide to low-carb, high-fat foods.
Foods to eat on a keto diet
The primarygoal of the keto diet is to drastically reduce carbohydrate intake in order to put the body into a state of ketosis.This means that foods that are high in carbohydrates, like grains, sugars, and starchy vegetables, should be limitedor avoided. Instead, the focus is on high-fat, moderate-protein foods like:
- Meat and poultry: Beef, pork, chicken, and turkey are all good choices on a keto diet, as they are high in protein and low in carbs.
- Fish and seafood: Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and tuna are great sources of protein and healthy fats.
- Eggs: Eggs are a versatile and nutritious food that can be incorporated into many keto-friendly dishes.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, chia seeds, and flaxseeds are all good sources of healthy fats and fiber.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and lettuce are low in carbs and high in nutrients.
- Healthy fats: Avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, and butter are all good sources of healthy fats that can be used in cooking or as a condiment.
Foods to avoid on a keto diet
In order to stay in a state of ketosis, it's important to avoid foods that are high in carbohydrates, including:
- Grains: Wheat, rice, and other grains are high in carbs and should be avoided on a keto diet.
- Sugars: Table sugar, honey, and other sweeteners are high in carbs and should be limited.
- Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other starchy vegetables should be avoided.
- Processed foods: Many processed foods, like chips and crackers, are high in carbs and should be avoided.
- Fruits: While some fruits like berries can be eaten in moderation, most fruits are high in carbs and should be limited.
Following a keto diet can be challenging, but by focusing on low-carb, high-fat foods, it's possible to achieve your goals and improve your health. It's important to consult with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian to ensure that you are getting all the nutrients you need while following the diet.